Beata Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Rumors of a List are beginning to circle around the school... A list of what...?
I love you, Pillow ♥
Ebony was here.
Do you have any ideas for future events? Tell us!
You looked so beautiful.

Bible Project - Engaging the World (Involving Devin!)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Badger
The Almighty Badger Goddess
Badger

Beata Bucks : 11235

Bible Project - Engaging the World (Involving Devin!) Empty
PostSubject: Bible Project - Engaging the World (Involving Devin!)   Bible Project - Engaging the World (Involving Devin!) EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 12:44 pm

As some of you know, I wrote a story for my Bible class involving one of my characters - Devin. We had to write something to show our understanding of how Christians are to engage the world causing me to think about Devin's background and I quickly jumped at the idea to do this. Many of you seemed interested in this story, so I thought I would share it here - but also because you guys can tell me what you think about it. This also gave me a chance to work on Devin's past involving his home life and his father (along with finally figuring out what job he has.) Also, I do spend a bit trying to describe gifts because this is mainly for somebody who has no knowledge of Beata and thus what gifts are. Anyways, I hope you enjoy reading this~

---------

The room was silent other than the low murmur of his parent’s television carrying throughout the house. The small form of Devin was sitting on the edge of his bed, his emerald eyes staring out his bedroom's window, transfixed on nothing as he was lost in his own thoughts. It was pitch black outside other than for the steady glow of the street lights and stars that both shined with the same brilliance. His room was also lost in the darkness, trying to show a simple ruse of being asleep with the only light filtering in coming from his door that was cracked open just enough to give him enough light from the hallways to be able to make out the shapes of his room.

He was well aware that it was late - much past his bedtime but he was stubborn not to give into the tiredness that plagued him and instead thought hard about the devotion that his father had given before dinner. Perhaps he was thinking about this much harder than a ten-year old should've, but his parents had always called him mature for his age and it was on a matter he was left feeling unsure about. His feet swung mindlessly as his right hand tapped rhythmic on the cover of his Bible - having trouble finding answers within. He was a special case, he supposed with a flicker of his devilish tail.

Life had never been all that easy for the young Christian, having been born into a world filled with strange powers known as ‘gifts,’ giving those who had them strange powers that seemed like fantasy. From what the young boy knew, the history of these powers were clouded in mystery as his father had little idea of how his family had come to hold these special gifts, but he also knew that his family was not the only one to be burdened with them.

His case however was an interesting one to be sure. While his home was a Christian one, he found himself, along with his father, having a gift that seemed to oppose it - the ability to turn into a demon...at least in appearance. Just thinking about it caused him to gently bite his lip in worry as he had never liked it. It had always been dormant in him, the only signs of him having it being the black devil-like tail, the two small horns that poked out from his light brown hair and the pair of fangs he had. He truthfully hoped it would never become active, but his father always promised him that he would teach him how to control it if it did.

But the additions to his appearance, while rather small, did change his life in a rather large way as he was rarely allowed to leave the house. There were a few exceptions to this, such as church but otherwise his life was spent living behind these familiar walls until he could learn how to undo the changes and have a normal life. The young boy had a feeling that his sheltered life had to do with his mature personality, being unable to connect to kids his age and properly goof off. He always had his older sister but she was always busy with school…

“Devin?” The voice startled him, causing him to jump as he snapped out of his thoughts. He was suddenly aware that his room had become lighter - his door having been pushed open so even more light from the hallway could filtered in. Without even turning around, Devin knew exactly who was at his door and it caused a guilty feeling to run through him for being caught staying up. His eyes turned upon the imposing figure of his father.

His father, Blake, was a tall, well-built individually with broad shoulders and large, strong hands. He looked to be the type of person that you wouldn’t want to even look at the wrong way to lest you wanted to be on the receiving end of his fist, but Devin knew that his father was a kind-hearted  pastor all looks aside. His father’s lips were creased in a frown as he studied his son, his expression hard to read as he blocked the light from the hallway. “What are you doing awake, Devin?” his father finally said, his voice much softer than anybody would ever expect to hear from a body like that.

“I-I couldn’t go to sleep,” the young boy confessed with a nervous shift, pulling his legs onto the bed so he could turn to face his father better. His hands fiddled with each other as he lowered his head while keeping his eyes focused on his father. “I’m sorry for still being awake…”

Blake said nothing, simply raising an eyebrow at his son’s words before letting out a soft laugh a few moments later. “It's fine, Devin, I’m not angry at you,” he said as he stepped from the doorway and into the bedroom, letting more light flood in. Strolling across the room, he came to a stop at Devin’s bedside and sat down next to him, giving him a soft look. “Do you want to talk about why you can’t go to sleep?” he asked in a quiet tone.

Devin tensed his shoulders as he pulled his knees up to his stomach, hugging his legs against his chest as he pouted. His long, thin tail curled around his side as he stared down at his toes as he decided whether or not he really wanted to talk about it. But finally he gave his father a soft nod. His father nodded back in acknowledge his son’s agreement, but remained silent causing Devin to realize that he was waiting for him to speak first.

“I...Um...Was thinking of today’s devotion...The one before dinner,” he started, raising a hand to nervously scratch at his cheek without really a thought about it. “It was all about how we as Christians should engage the world, right? ...I wanna be a good Christian, but I just don’t know how! A-At least in engaging the world because how am I supposed to do that-” He cut off when his father’s voice interrupted him.

“When you aren’t allowed to leave the house?”  Blake gently finished his son’s thought as he tilted his head slightly, raising an eyebrow as his brown eyes flickered. Devin blinked, before nodding with a soft swallow. Smiling softly at his son’s silent response, he leaned over to wrap his arm around his son, pulling him closer so that Devin was resting his head on his father’s side. Devin didn’t fight it, instead snuggling even closer to his father when his dad paused to talk.

“Your mother and I didn’t set that rule to make your life hard, Devin, it's there to protect you. We both have an unique gift that most of the world just wouldn’t understand. They would label us by our gift, not who we truly are,”
he hummed, giving his son a soft smile full of love also a hint of regret. “My parents were not proud of me when I turned to God as it was a belief that he had cursed our line with our gift if they bothered to believe in him at all...But it is a gift, one that we should use to better the world despite how ugly it seems.”

Devin was silent for a few seconds as he pouted slightly, listening to his father’s words. He had never met his paternal grandparents as his father hadn’t spoken to them since he had become a Christian. As far as he could tell however, his father had little regret in his choice. However… “That didn’t answer my question,” he pointed out meekly, blinking up at his father.

Blake paused as he stared at his son, before letting out a small laugh. “I suppose you are right. I got a bit carried away, didn’t I? It was about today’s devotion correct - how we are to engage the world? I do see where you are coming from, Devin. But you must realize that there are many ways to engage the world.” After a few moments of silence to see if Devin had any kind of response - which the young boy did not - he carried on.

“As a Christian, we are called to follow in the Lord’s path but we are bound to stumble, but he accepts us for who we are - our faults included. Do not be afraid of what other things, as they do not know you as the Lord does. What you have is unique Devin, a gift that God bestowed upon us for a reason. Learn how to use it so you can better the world with it.”

Pouting, Devin wiggled where he was resting on his father’s side so he could turn his head to look at his father. “How am I supposed to better the world with a gift like the one we have?” he whined in a soft tone, seeming unsure about his own words. “I don’t see how I can help others when all I can do is turn into a demon…”

Placing one of his large hands on his son’s head, Blake gently ruffled Devin’s hair as he gave him a sweet smile. “Think past that appearance, Devin. What matters is in the inside - your heart. Our gift makes us strong, resilient. You can use it to protect the ones you love as you won’t be locked in this house forever. The world outside this one is a dark one and don’t let it change you - change it instead. Your mother and I can only do so much to prepare you for it…”

A wistful sigh escaped him as he shifted slightly, causing Devin to pull away as Blake stood up. "You aren’t alone, Devin,” he said as he turned to look at his son. “There are others with gifts, some similar but also wildly different. Maybe one day you will met others, and I am sure they will accept you. Don’t fear what you have, embrace it because your gift will allow you to change the world. Now go to bed Devy, it's pretty late. We can talk more tomorrow if you need to.”

Devin simply nodded his head as his father left the room, shutting his door causing it to fall into darkness once again. He sat on his bed, thinking about his father’s words before he smiled to himself. He spared a glance at the window - taking in the outside view he was rarely around to experience. His father had a point. He had many gifts, not just including his strange power. One day he would find people who accepted him, he had faith in that and then he could use all that he could do to change the world.

Leaning over to pick up his bible, he hugged it gently before placing it down on his nightstand next to his bed. “Good night,” he whispered as he glanced at his closed door before worming his way under his blanket. It didn’t take long for tiredness to overtake him and in moments he was snoozing, fast asleep yet with a small smile still on his face, his troubling thoughts having been put to rest by his father’s wise words.
Back to top Go down

Bible Project - Engaging the World (Involving Devin!)
Page 1 of 1